“And when they came to the place, which is called the Skull [ Kranion in Greek], there they impaled Him, with the wicked ones, one on the right hand, and one on the left.[ also Mark 15:27, ”..one on His right hand & the other, on His left.”] Y’shua in the middle, holding out hands to both, repentant and unrepentant man !
Then said Yahshua,
Abba, forgive them; for they know not what they do…”.[Luke 23: 33 -34a]
- ”Kranion” or Skull comes from “keras” the hair of the head or horn! Horns grow out from the top of the head or skull of the goat or sheep,and become permanent fixtures, unlike the deer antlers which shed annually.
- Goat and sheep were sacrified, never deer, on the altar of 4 horns in the Temple or tabernacle. The blood was poured out all over the altar, to the four corners, on the four horns on the corners , even to the bottom on all four sides.
- Complete coverage is by the blood of the sacrifice.
- Blood of the sin offering was dripped on the horns at these corners of the altar while blood was also poured on the sides & at the bottom, completely covering the altar of sacrifice: a foreshadow of the complete blood atonement for our sins by Messiah.[ Exodus 27:2, 38:2]
In the place of the Skull or Horn, outside of the Temple, the blood was shed by the sacrificial death of Y’shua Je’sus Christ the Messiah, the Anointed One.
- ” Golgotha” or Gulgoleth in Hebrew is also a skull , as round; by implication a head, from #1556 galal: to roll, away, down or together; commit, remove, seek, trust; from which comes circumstance [what goes around], Galal, and Galilee [a circle or special circuit] .
- Was that a hint in “Golgotha” that the stone covering the tomb of Y’shua would be removed or rolled away? As a result of the resurrection, we trust in YHWH for salvation in Y’shua who went the full circuit, completed the course and said , ” It is finished.”
” And they [the soldiers] brought Him to the place Golgotha, which is, being interpreted, The place of a skull.” [ Mark 15: 27 ]
Why the horn of a ram?
- The horn is a symbol of victorious power, strength, used as a musical instrument [the shofar], container for oils [horn of salvation], and part of the whole offering and incense altars[the 4 horns of the altar]! The horn suggests figuratively the power of kings, aggressors or bestowal of it, as in Daniel 7 & 8. The horn represents 2 aspects of the divine: salvation and power. Also the horn,as a natural outgrowth or part of the body, must be cleansed on the inside and out to be used as a vessel for service.
An it shall come to pass…make a ”tekiyah ge-dollah” [ long & loud shofar blast]…hear the sound of the shofars…people shall shout…the walls…[of Jericho] shall fall down flat…ascend every man…”. [Joshua 6:5]
And Yahweh said to Samuel [Schmu-el], How long will you mourn for Shaul [Saul], seeing I have rejected him from reigning over all Yisrael? Fill your horn with oil & go, I will send you…”. [1 Samuel 16:1]
And David spoke to YHWH the words of this song…The Elohim of my Rock; in Him will I trust: He is my shield & the horn of my Yahshua, my High Tower & my Refuge, my Savior; You save me from violence. I will call on YHWH…[ 2 Samuel 22: 1a, 3, 4a; also Psalm 18:2, 75:4,5, 10; 89:17, 24; 92:10; 112:9; 69:31;118:27
”Horns of the Altar”:The Horns of the Altar were symbolic projections @ the 4 corners of the altar of burnt offering [Exodus 27:2], of one piece with the altar. They were not real horns!
- Blood was smeared on these ”horns” during the consecration of Aaron & his sons [Ex. 29:12].
- Blood was smeared in a sin offering for a ruler or for the people [Leviticus 4:25,30,34].
- Blood was smeared on these horns on the Day of Atonement, Yom Kippor, [Leviticus 16:18].
- Fugitives seeking refuge, strength, forgiveness would cling to these horns, putting themselves under Divine protection [1 Kings 1:50-53 ; 2:28] : “…fled to the Tabernacle of YHWH and took hold of the horns of the altar”.
- These horns~ holiness of the altar. They were figuratively cut off as in Amos 3:14 when Yisrael polluted itself:
“That in the day that I SHALL visit the transgressions of Yisrael upon him I will also visit the altars of Beth-El [House of El or GOD]: and the horns of the altar shall be cut off, & fall to the ground.” [Amos 3:14]
HORN is from the Hebrew “qaran“, to push or gore; have horns; rays [of light], to shine. HORN is #7161 ”qeren”, projecting horn, corner of altar, peak of an amount, a ray of light; power!
“…Zacharyah [Zacharias, father of John the Immerser, filled with the Ruach Hakodesh, & prophesied, saying, Blessed be the Master YHWH the Eloah of Yisrael; for He has visited & redeemed His people, And has raised up a horn of salvation for us in the house of His servant David…”. [Luke 1:67-69]
Y’shua Je’sus Messiah said to them, All you shall be offended because of Me…it is written, I will smite the Shepherd & the sheep will be scattered. But after I am risen, I will go before you into Galil [Galilee]” [Mark 27-28].
Galil = circuit, Y’shua went full circuit, took back or gave back the connection to the Father! Adam with Eve took it away, when they took of the fruit forbidden! [Genesis 3:6]
“And I [YHWH] will put enmity between you [ satan as the serpent ] and the woman & between your seed and her Seed; HE will crush your head & you shall bruise His heel.” [Gen. 3:15, a Messianic prophecy fulfilled]
We were children in slavery [Galatians 4:3]!
“But when the fullness of the time had come, Yahweh sent forth His Son, made of a woman, made under the law, To redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons,
And because you are sons, Yahweh has sent forth the Ruach HaKodesh [Holy Spirit] of His Own Son into your heart, crying Abba, Abba.” [v.4-6]
“…Weep not: see, the Lion of the tribe of Yahudah, the Root of David, has prevailed to open the scroll & to loose its 7 seals.
And I looked, & in the midst of the throne & of the 4 creatures & the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having 7 horns and 7 eyes, which are the 7 spirits [ruachim] of YHWH [Yahweh] sent forth into all the world. [Revelation 5:5-6]
And the 10 horns that you saw are 10 kings who have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings in just 1 hour with the beast…these shall make war with the Lamb & the Lamb shall overcome them: for He is Master of masters & King of kings: & they that are with Him are called, the chosen & faithful people of Yisrael. [Revelation 17:12-14]
He is Our Horn of Salvation, Yahshua! The sacrificial altar had 4 horns at the corners, in the 4 directions , to the ends of the earth: Salvation for the whole world, only through the Blood of Yahshua! Amein…
An excerpt from The Four Winds [note by J. Daniel]:
YHWH calls to Moshe from the Tabernacle or Tent of Meeting to instruct Aaron and sons to kill the sacrifice on the north side of the altar.
What is the significance of north?
- North, in Hebrew is tzaphon, hidden or dark derived from tzaphan,to hide by covering over, to protect, reserve.
- The sacrifice on the dark gloomy side covers and protects us and keeps us toJudgement Day!
- YHWH instructed Moses, in Exodus 26:35, to put the golden table with poles with the bread of the presence on the north side, (“in His Presence always”) (v. 29), outside the curtain or
veil, a foreshadow of the body of Yashua broken for us, and placed on the north side of the city.
- When King Achaz of Judah made a bronze counterfeit altar because he gifted the gold to King Ashshur, he still had Uriah the priest sacrifice on the north side of the altar.
Do you think YHWH was pleased? (2Kings 16:8-14) May we be obedient!
An excerpt from “Not Done in a Corner”, by J. Daniel:
A corner can mean “to the uttermost part” of the land, object, or earth!
A corner is 3-dimensional not flat, with height, depth & length.
A corner is bent, an angle, sharp or dull. The boards of the Tabernacle had bending, turning corners, called mekutsah, as in Exodus 26:23, 24.
The altar corners were pinnah, chieftain, pinnacle & tower or bulwark corners, seen by all in the court.
Blood of sin offering was dripped on the horns at these corners of the altar while blood was also poured on the sides & at the bottom, completely covering the altar of sacrifice: a foreshadow of the complete blood atonement for our sins by Messiah. ( See notes “Washing of Regeneration: # 1-5 for further reading on Levitical sacrificial system ) [Also Exodus 27:2, 38:2]
Amein…we who are His sheep will go to the Right …to be with the Right Arm of YHWH!